DeFOUL technology is the easiest and most effective way to remove anti-fouling paint from boat hulls. Time consuming and costly sanding or blasting removal methods are eliminated!
FOR USE ON
- Fiberglass, aluminum, steel and wood boat hulls
- Will not damage gel coats
- ONLY removes antifouling paint – will not remove epoxy barrier coatings
DeFOUL is a patent-pending technological breakthrough for the marine industry. It creates 2 waste streams; liquid waste (product and wash water) which is inert and fully biodegradable and can be washed down the drain; and solid waste (paint material) which can be collected at the drainage point. Always check and disposed of all materials in accordance with local regulations.
- Spray DeFOUL directly on a clean hull (Surface grease, dirt and marine material must first be removed)
- Wait for DeFOUL to react and lift the anti-fouling paint
- Wash away at a slight angle with a pressure washer (when removing multiple heavy layers of AF paint, scraping lifted layers first will assist in containing waste).
DeFOUL eliminates the need for traditional sanding or blasting removal methods which can damage the gel coat. Other costly “peel and strip” methods provide inconsistent results and large amounts of waste to be disposed of.
**Consult with an authorized applicator or DeFOUL Technical Data Sheet for complete application and removal instructions.
- Safe: Will not damage gel coats, epoxy barrier coatings and other hull substrates
- Easy to Use: Simple spray-on application, wait and pressure wash off
- Reduces fuel consumption: By reducing drag
- Effective: Can remove multiple layers of anti-fouling paint
- Economical: Slashes the price of removal (compared to traditional methods)
- Cleaner & Greener: Water-based and fully biodegradable formulation
- Less Clean-up: Solid paint waste is easily collected and disposed of
- No Toxic Airborne Pollutants from sanding
- No regulated VOC’s
- No HAPS and no TAPS
1 pail (5 US gallons) be sufficient for 1 removal application for a 25- 30-foot craft (approximately). Each application will remove between 3 – 6 layers of antifouling paint.
Stubborn or multi-layers of anti-fouling may require touch-ups or additional applications.
APPLICATION & DWELL TIME
DeFOUL can be used indoors and outdoors in well ventilated areas in temperatures above 10 degrees C. It should be applied using an airless sprayer or HVLP equipment with a nozzle tip size of .021 – .031 and chemical resistant fittings. DO NOT ATOMIZE. Small areas can be retouched using a brush or roller. DeFOUL is designed to “cling” to the hull and should be applied liberally but ensure there is minimal “sagging” or dripping of the product. WHEN SUFFICIENTLY APPLIED, THE COLOR OF THE ANTIFOULING PAINT SHOULD NOT BE VISIBLE THROUGH THE WHITE DEFOUL PRODUCT.
DeFOUL should be left for at least 5 hours or until anti-fouling paint can be seen “lifting” thought the product. Dwell time will vary based on type of paint, number of layers and temperatures. DO NOT AGITATE OR SCRUB PRODUCT or allow to dry on the hull once applied. If product dries, reapply. DeFOUL can be left overnight for stubborn or multi-layers. Additional applications or small touch-up areas may be required. Extreme temperatures, such as direct sunlight, will affect efficacy.
Before removal, all drains must be properly protected to ensure solid paint waste can be collected and disposed of correctly (check local regulations). Liquid waste is inert and fully biodegradable and can be washed away. DeFOUL is removed using a pressure washer at a slight angle to assist in “lifting” the paint away from the gel coat. Hot water pressure washers increase efficacy. DO NOT store removed material in metal containers.
Due to the varied types of antifouling paint, number of layers and ways in which each application of paint was applied each project requirement may be slightly varied.
For best antifouling removal results and detailed application instructions please contact: